Science

Charles Darwin Is on the Back of the £10 Note?

Since when did this happen? Why did no one inform me?

I spotted this on a Tumblr blog and at first felt a bit bad for not knowing that Charles Darwin was on the back of the £10 note. But, not long after my guilt trip commenced, a 25-year-old from England reposted the picture, adding that he hadn’t noticed, either.

So, how many of you already knew this, and how many didn’t?

Randi's Birthday and Homeopathic Lemonade

What Came First? The Chicken or the Gardasil?

katherine

katherine

1. August 7, 2008 at 7:38 pm —

*timidly raises hand*

I tried to pay a British kid in my History class for a 10 pound note but I kept forgetting to bring in $20. America = poor country.

Well, of course I knew. Why do you think I throw a U into “honour”?

2. August 8, 2008 at 4:22 am —

I’ve been waiting to find a way to subtly incorporate this fact on my blog recently. It’s one of those strange contrasts – over here in Britain we’re technically a religious state, what with the monarch having to belong to the Church of England, and those pesky bishop bastards “helping” make laws. Quite the opposite of the US, which was the world’s first established secular state with clear divisions between religion and any governmental machinery.

Yet they’re the ones with “in God we trust” all over the place and “one nation under God” in the pledge of allegiance, while we have Darwin on our money.

Weirdness.

3. neverclear5
    August 8, 2008 at 9:21 am —

I think it might be our various British attitudes that allow us to have a technically religious state and vaguely agnosticish populous. The young, rebel against the religious crap they have to do in school, the middle aged cant be arsed, and the old tend to be relegated to writing, quickly ignored, angry letters. Add in the fact that everyone takes the piss out of everything and you have what we have now. Lots of nominal christians, low church attendance, and great comedy shows.

4. August 8, 2008 at 2:17 pm —

Well, Charles Darwin is English after all. It’s be a bit weird if he was on American money.

On a semi-related note, while other countries put intellectuals, monarchs and elder statesmen on their money, Canadian money has people playing hockey on it.

5. CJ.Sevilla
    August 9, 2008 at 8:31 am —

Is there a way that I could get someone from England to give (sell?) me a 10 pound note, or is that illegal in some way?

That sounds like a strange request, but I live in Las Vegas and I don’t know anyone around who’s even thinking of going to England sometime in their life. I think it would be cool to have a bill in my house with Darwin on it.

Or maybe that’s a dumb idea. I could just print a picture of the Darwin bill.

August 9, 2008 at 9:04 am —

Well, I didn’t know that Canada had hockey players on their money.

Do we have any American scientists that would fit nicely on a piece of U.S. currency?

7. August 11, 2008 at 11:50 am —

So that’s what a tenner looks like. It’s been a while since I’ve had that much dosh in one place.

8. August 12, 2008 at 3:09 pm —

Yeah, I knew 🙂 I quite like our notes, actually, they’re rather pretty-ful, and I think there are some other scientists on the other notes.

I’ve got a few US dollars and they’re ugly anyway, even without the “In God we trust” 😉

Btw, Dawkin’s used that very same slide in one of his lectures I watched (on YouTube) the other day.

I’d like to frame it (which is, you must understand, a quite strange thing to do with a bank note from your own country!) but I keep spending them on books 🙁