Teenie Skepchick Tips for School

School is coming up, like it or not. So here are a few Teenie Skepchick tips for school:

• Go buy a 2008-2009 planner and write down everything you need to do throughout the year. Have your sports practices, homework, scheduled study time, long-term projects/goals, and tests/quizzes scheduled in that one planner.
  • For optimal performance in the classroom, you should be a week ahead of the class material by reviewing future chapters.
  • Each week, plan ahead (I do this on Sunday mornings) so that you have a daily “to-do” list ready for each day.  Then stick to the lists!
  • Binders and dividers rock! Stay as organized as possible in each class. DO NOT just shove things into your book bag. <Cough> Like I used to do… <Cough>
  • If you have an ID badge get in the habit of putting it in the same place everyday.
  • Eat healthy, exercise, and get plenty of sleep. By doing this your brain will function more efficiently and you are more likely to effectively manage your stress level.
  • Lay your cloths out at night, including any sports gear you might need for practice or games.
  • If you have not read your summer reading by now, read it! And I don’t care what your teacher says; Spark Notes is a good study tool. Get an outline for the books if they are available.
  • Personally, I do not find drinking parties to be that much fun. I have also had too many friends get themselves into trouble and they have caused me to fear for their safety. If you decide to attend one of these functions, at least go with trusted friends and make sure you have a safe way of getting home. If you can, try to see that your friends don’t do anything they might regret while drinking.  But most of all, keep yourself safe.

If anyone has any more tips to add to the list, please comment!

As some of you know or may have guessed, this year is my senior year. I feel a strange mixture of emotions about it. I’m excited.  I’m a little sad.  I’m a little anxious…

Here are some things that I am looking forward to in my final year of high school:

• My classes
  • My cohort (friends) and their daily antics.
  • Soccer season
  • Swimming season
  • Driving to school… everyday!
  • Laughing at freshmen

What are you looking forward to this year?

Things I am not looking forward to this year:

• Dealing with incompetence and irrational behavior.
  • Teenage drama.  I mean really, the world has huge problems, and all some people care about is minor social issues among their small little pack of friends.

What are you not looking forward to this year?

Hair Hysteria

'Tis a Hoax

Cassie

Cassie

1. August 18, 2008 at 8:54 pm —

Looks like a well planned list, and sound advice even for – ah – older students.

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, the irrationality and drama don’t end after graduation. It gets slightly easier to avoid exposure once you’re in college, but only slightly. And once you get a job…

Your only hope is to start your own company, and observe a strict “no irrational drama” policy when hiring.

Good luck with your senior year. =)

2. sporefrog
    August 18, 2008 at 11:47 pm —

I’m only going into my 3rd year of college this fall, and that list still reminds me greatly of my high school years.

As LBB says, the drama certainly does not end at high school. However, people at least might, possibly, perhaps, a little bit, maybe become better at dealing with problems as they arise and slowly become less focused on their, as you say, tiny, immediate griefs and turn their attention to bigger, more important things.

Then again, if your parents are like mine, that’ll probably never happen.

May you have a great year nonetheless 🙂

3. Aurimas
    August 19, 2008 at 2:57 am —

Better plan what partys to attend during the first day/weekend of school 😛

4. MathMike
    August 19, 2008 at 6:39 am —

Here’s a couple more specifically for seniors:

Make an appointment with your guidance counselor as soon as you can. Get a list of dates for ACT/SAT tests, scholarship applications, and colleges visiting your school.

Once the opening week dust has settled, talk with your teachers about the timing of any big projects. Don’t expect an exact date, but they should be able to pin it down by about a week.

Thinking of a senior prank? Avoid the big D’s: Destructive, Derogatory, Discriminating. A good senior prank is often remembered fondly by both the students and the school officials.

Have a great senior year!

5. August 19, 2008 at 12:29 pm —

Wow… I didn’t do any of that stuff. Too bad you didn’t split exercise into its own bullet, then I would have had at least one.

6. Finn
    August 19, 2008 at 12:58 pm —

I’ve been out of school for some years now and into higher and then even higher education.
    As someone who has finished both school and college top of my year I feel qualified to comment on your points.
    – Forget the planner, don’t plan to do stuff, just do stuff and have fun.
    – Don’t force yourself to be one week head in all you classes, if something interests you read more up on it if not just stick with the class for a while. Use the extra time in easy classes to learn more than is being thaught or study for other classes.
    – TODO lists are stuiped.
    – DO NOT save every single useless piece of paper. Subjects like maths and physics require perhaps two A4 sheets of notes for everything you’ll ever need to know pre uni level. Discard your clutter.
    – In America: get a fake ID.
    – Sports are fun, get out and do something, stay fit and enjoy your food.
    – make sure your T shirts have provocative statements on them
    – read the books you want, not the ones you have to, instead just read the summaries of them online.
    – go to parties (and not just LAN parties), make friends with people who are totally different from you, get drunk, do crazy stuff (road trip/ skinny dipping), hook up with people, make out with people.
    – DO NOT be modest, if your good at something be a bit cocky
    – have fun

7. August 19, 2008 at 5:11 pm —

I would take the advice from the article and Finn’s advice and split the difference. Be as organized as you can and feel comfortable with, but don’t sweat it if you screw up. You will, and it will be okay.

Also, if you are afraid for your future every time somebody says, “these are the best years of your life!” DO NOT WORRY. They aren’t. And if, later, you find yourself thinking, “wow, high school was so much better…” then you need to reevaluate where you are and make some changes.

Good luck!

8. Shivierie
    August 19, 2008 at 7:11 pm —

I’m going to be a freshman (HS level, not college) on September 2nd.
    Things looking forward to:
    -SCHOOL (I love school. People think that’s weird)
    -Learning
    -Science
    -History
    -Meeting new people
    -Homework (Yeah, I love homework too.)
    -The sense of feeling relieved when I walk in the door of my home.
    -Spending at least 6 hours away from my brother
    -Getting advice on GOOD books to read.
    Things NOT Looking forward to:
    -Seniors laughing at me (*glares meaningfully*)
    -The long hours of homework
    -Seniors laughing at me
    -Lunch 7th period
    -Seniors laughing at me
    -The first week, running around looking for my classes.
    -Did I mention Seniors laughing at me?

I’m kidding, partly, about the seniors. I know a few but not enough.

9. Cassie
    August 19, 2008 at 7:17 pm —

Aurimas, I have my parties planned already.:wink:

Mike, good senior tips!

Finn, I am going to exactly what you said.

10. MaggieMoo
    August 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm —

Well i start my junior year of High School this year. I agree with Cassie (except for the driving part, thats what older sisters are for right?) But i have this to add: Do what YOU want to do. If the guidance counselors are trying to make you stay in a crappy fine arts elective that will interfere with your AP classes, forget the counselors are drop the elective. Unless you plan to major in it, I doubt you will use Theatre, Art, or Music later in life.

11. August 20, 2008 at 11:29 am —

The one piece of wisdom I wish somebody had imparted to me in high school is, “Don’t worry: life isn’t always this bad.” High school was a hideous parody of education in which one indulged just deeply enough to get the plot coupons necessary to escape and go somewhere better.

If your enthusiasm (or that of a friend) drops to zero midway through senior year, don’t worry: that’s normal. It’s a sign the system is broken, but it’s normal — just garden-variety “senioritis”.

Yeah, that’s the school’s job, not yours.

The best pranks sometimes go completely undetected. One student in our senior yearbook did not exist: she was a fabrication, a pure projection from the Platosphere down into Earthly reality. We were very proud of her.

And I’m still not sure it’s safe to tell the story of how I became Prom King. . . .

In America: get a fake ID.

And spend the senior-class treasury money on keg beer and 2-am dinners at IHOP.

Some fraction of the assigned reading will, statistically, be pretty good. Don’t let your teachers squeeze the joy out of those books. If you have to write a term paper in AP English, as I did, pick the most esoteric book you can for your topic. Using the Postmodernism Generator to complete homework assignments is optional, but encouraged.

(I never got caught doing that, either.)

12. August 20, 2008 at 3:30 pm —

I hate school. I usually start off the beggining of the year very well, and by the fourth term, I get lazy and find myself doing homework until 3AM. Then there are the horrible teachers of the extracurricular activities and bad teachers of science. I have a feeling, though, that this year is going to be good. God, then there is the stupidest test ever, the SAT. I do not look forward to waking up at 6 AM either. And school cafeteria sucks, with their sucky food and all. I miss recess, and dodgeball games I used to play. Oh, and good advice on Spark Notes, it has helped on my summer readings (god, 4 more days of reading plus 2 essays, that is a killer).

13. August 20, 2008 at 3:32 pm —

*extracurricular [bold]classes[/bold]

14. Cassie
    August 21, 2008 at 6:16 pm —

Shivierie,
    😈 muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha! But in all seriousness good luck, I am pritty sure you will be fine.