Teenier Skepchick Tip for School

Cassie has recently done a post on good tips for doing well in school this year which I ought to follow but probably won’t even though I really ought to… So do as I say, not as I do.

There is one teeny-tiny Teen Skepchick tip I’d like to add about socializing in high school.

The best way to deal with high school drama is to not deal with it.

There are other things to do which are much more worth-while than back-stabbing, “getting back” at someone (who will inevitably try to “get back” at you for “getting back” at them until somebody forgives and forgets), or concentrating on other people’s love lives.

Of course, it helps to talk about it with your friends. The problem is that this often leads to spending far too much time gossiping and dwelling on depressing things which don’t matter and can’t be fixed.

Here’s a list of what you could be doing instead of dwelling on high school drama:

• Astronomy (you’d be surprised how much you can do from your own backyard).
  • Shopping.
  • Shopping for BOOKS!!!
  • Reading books you bought from bookstores.
  • Listening to music.
  • Listening to NPR.
  • Listening to Point of Inquiry (podcast).
  • Hanging out with friends you’re not mad at.
  • Ice skating.
  • Playing an instrument.
  • Dancing in the streets for no particular reason.
  • Cuddling with teddy bears.
  • Aiding Elles in her search for pink dancing unicorns on Neptune.
  • Poetry.
  • Trying to get accepted into Hogwarts.
  • Volunteering for a cause.
  • Fooding (making food, eating food, obtaining free food)
  • Going for a walk.
  • Watching Doctor Who.
  • Eating sugar.
  • Spending time with family.
  • Taking long walks on beaches.
  • Eating candle-lit dinners.
  • Hand-holding.
  • Snuggling.
  • Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Darwin-Wallace paper on evolution by natural selection.
  • Celebrating Darwin’s 200th birthday (this February 12th).
  • Starting a campus group of fellow teen skepchicks and teen skepdudes (I’ll post something about this later hopefully).
  • Root beer.
  • Cuddling with adowable, cute furry animals. Awww…
  • Watching Pocahontas (the only redeeming quality of Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World is the character John Rolfe who is surprisingly attractive for a two-dimensional animated character who misrepresents the historical person he’s based on, whereas John Smith in Pocahontas is played by Mel Gibson).
  • Making evil-genius plots to promote science and reason.
  • Eating ice cream well after midnight.
  • Watching sunrises and sunsets.
  • Reading Teen Skepchick.

TS Tidbits, 8.20

High School Freethought

elles the vampire slayer

elles the vampire slayer

1. Aurimas
    August 21, 2008 at 5:35 pm —

Mmm… Root beer… 🙂

2. Maseca
    August 21, 2008 at 6:09 pm —

I’m so sending this list to my daughter. Junior high drama is just as hideous as high school drama!

She’ll love the bit about celebrating Darwin’s birthday… it’s her birthday too!

3. Cassie
    August 21, 2008 at 7:14 pm —

omg! Elles we like totally have to like go book shopping sometime! (cassie said in her best valley girl voice) 😀

4. August 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm —

What the heck does high school drama consists of? I am at high school, but I don’t see any. Maybe I am way too detached from society. 🙂
    And amen to backyard astronomy!

5. Dread Polack
    August 22, 2008 at 1:12 pm —

High School drama consists of fixating on trivial and private details of other people’s lives, and causing misery in your fellow adolescent human beings with hopes of increasing your ‘popularity’.

These sorts of behaviors only seem to come out in people who are placed in close groups for extended periods of time in unnatural settings. Other examples include prisons and Antarctic research facilities.

Anyway, Elles, amen to that. I don’t want to imply that I was so much more mature than my peers in HS (although maybe I was), but I realized exactly what you’re saying about halfway through, even though I had been unconsciously avoiding drama all along. Nothing was more amusing to me than the “band trips” we took. Want to ratchet up HS drama 2-3 levels? Put teenagers on a bus for 24 hours and have them clumped together for their entire waking hours, instead of only half for about a week.

The downside? You want friends? You can’t avoid all the drama. You want a girlfriend/boyfriend? Drama.

6. August 22, 2008 at 1:40 pm —

I would say high school is an unnatural setting, like prison. 🙂 Anyways, if it happens in prison, is it prison drama? Or maybe high school is prison disguised as an educational setting, therefore making prison dramas high school dramas? Maybe high school dramas are prison dramas? I digress.

7. Shivierie
    August 22, 2008 at 10:02 pm —

Let’s see, I semi-do Astronomy, instead of Dr. Who I watch Whose Line, I make food, I walk with my dog, I hang with friends (on phone), I buy/borrow bunches of books, I read and re-read bunches of books, I write poetry (post it online, too!), spending time with my family is annoying… um, I would aid you with looking for pink unicorns but I think there would be more purple, I listen to SGU and 60-Second Science, so I’m good.
    Yup, I’m all prepared to deal with HS drama. Cool.