Events

Secularism and Science Education

As seen on Meetup.com and RichardDawkins.net and now Teen Skepchick, I am now anouncing an event of epic proportions…

The Pre-Election Rally for Separation of Church and State in Denver, Colorado!

What: Pre-election Rally for Separation of Church and State
When: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 3:30-6 p.m.
Where: West steps of the state capitol building
Permit held by: Denver Atheists & Freethinkers (D.A.F.T.)

Goals: To provide individuals and organizations with an opportunity to speak out and show support for a wall of separation between religion and government, and against erosion of our legal rights on this front. To remind the public of some of these issues one month before the elections, at a time when I hope there will be a break in the local hubbub and distractions.

Highlight Issues:

The case where the 10th District Court ruled against Colorado’s ban on tax money going to pay tuition at colleges that discriminate on the basis of religion.

The “personhood” amendment that defines a fertilized egg as a human being, and would make some forms of birth control, in addition to abortion, murder under the law. (On our state ballot for November).

On the national level, the Faith-based Initiatives that give taxpayer money to religious charities, so that they can provide social services instead of government (secular) agencies.

Eternally recurring battles over prayer in school, school vouchers, reproductive freedom, and other issues throughout the nation.

Speakers will include:

Sean Curley (Humanist activist)

Joel Guttormsom (President of Metro State Atheists)

Groff Schroeder (President of Freethinkers of Colorado Springs)

Victor J. Stenger, PhD (College professor and renowned author)

Marvin Straus (Activist, COCORE leader, co-founder of Boulder Atheists)

And… yours truly…

ME!

Quite honestly, I’m not sure why I was invited to speak.

The first rule of public speaking is to never let your audience know that you are nervous even if you are nervous. I am going to break that rule and say that I am nervous in advance, but I still intend to deliver a clever speech, if not somewhat charmingly uncreative as the topic I’ve chosen is Intelligent Design/creationism and that has been ruthlessly debunked many times.

But still, if you come you might get to buy me an ice cream cone or something. 😀

Hopefully I might see some of you there!

A little follow up post to high school hierarchy.

Protein Synthesis

elles the vampire slayer

elles the vampire slayer

1. September 25, 2008 at 2:58 pm —

Elles, that’s awesome! Don’t be too nervous – I’m sure you’ll do great. Wish I were in the area so I could swing by.

2. Joy Wang
    September 26, 2008 at 2:29 pm —

Awesome! Good luc

3. Joy Wang
    September 26, 2008 at 2:30 pm —

strange, it just accidentally posted. What I meant to say was “Good luck and have fun!”

4. September 26, 2008 at 3:46 pm —

I would go if I was in the area… Consider this me sending you a theoretical internet ice cream cone.

5. Pseudonym
    September 28, 2008 at 7:04 am —

This sounds great, and good luck.

You may want to contact some of the more moderate/liberal churches in your area (Methodists are probably a good bet, for example) to see if they’re interested. Mention “separation of church and state”, but don’t mention RichardDawkins.net.

6. September 28, 2008 at 1:28 pm —

I understand that we did indeed contact the local Unitarian Universalist churches, and I invited several of my religious teachers, but why oughtn’t I mention the fact that I am an Atheist?

I didn’t put it in my speech, but why should it be something I need to hide? I understand why it wouldn’t look good, but it shouldn’t matter…

Or I’m just thinking wishfully about the way things ought to be.

7. September 28, 2008 at 1:28 pm —

I can still wear my Scarlet A pin, right?

8. Pseudonym
    September 29, 2008 at 1:06 am —

why oughtn’t I mention the fact that I am an Atheist?

By all means say you’re an Atheist. Just don’t mention Richard Dawkins if you want theists involved in your event. (And I don’t see why you wouldn’t, assuming this really is a pro-secular, pro-separation-of-church-and-state event and not an atheist-only event.)

The reason is that there’s a perception that he is a divisive individual. Whether true or not, it’s best to keep him personally out of it if you’re trying to get theists on side.