I guess I'm the new kid…

Hey everyone, my name is Kayla. I’ve been waiting for my short bio to be up on the “Who’s who” page so I could write my first post and not be a complete stranger, and when I saw it there today my heart nearly stopped working I was so excited.

To introduce myself, I am currently a freshman (aka freshmeat, yeah I know…) at the high school I attend. I’ve loved science just about my whole life because it satisfies my never-ending need to know how everything works. I live in a diverse and multicultural family that lives in the diverse and multicultural city of Miami, Florida, and I have been exposed to many different viewpoints. When I was younger my friends would talk about going to church and praying, and I thought that maybe I was missing out on something. The first time I realized that religion might have it wrong is when I read a book on Darwin and evolution at the age of 12 and the first time I realized I wanted no part in a religion (of any kind) was at the same age when I learned what the Holocaust was. I don’t enjoy fighting much, so I avoid the topic of religion at all costs when talking to my friends. Teen Skepchick is a much welcomed outlet for my thoughts on these subjects. I look forward to posting as often as homework will let me.

So enough about me. Let’s hear from you.  I know most, if not all, of you have seen a “jesus fish” on the back of cars, but I want to know if anyone has even seen the Darwin fishes, which are actually more common than I had thought. And here’s one I just saw the other day that caught me off guard – a Flying Spaghetti Monster fish! I mean, I had realized that maybe someone had come up with the idea, but to see one actually on the back of a car surprised me. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a camera on me so here’s a picture I Googled. (Ahhh, where would we be without Google?)

Harry Potter and the Rationalists of Teen Skepchick

Voting and Clean Energy

kayla_unkempt

kayla_unkempt

1. October 27, 2008 at 4:58 pm —

Hi, hi! Just thought I’d say that it’s nice to meet you. 🙂

And, I’ve never been a fan of any religiously-affiliated car emblems–last time that I checked, it didn’t affect my driving (haha)–but I see Darwin fish all of the time around here, in Houston, along with the occasional FSM emblem. I don’t have any emblems on my car, but I DO have a pretty lil’ Apple sticker in the corner of my rear windshield. What can I say? Steve Jobs owns my soul. 😉

2. October 27, 2008 at 5:04 pm —

‘Ello!

You have officially started blogging at the same age when I started blogging! Kudos!

Since I can’t drive yet I used to keep my Darwin fish pin on my book bag, but then I got a fedora hat (which my mother absolutely abhors) and I stuck it on there so it is the Epic Darwin Fish Fedora Hat… of SCIENCE!

3. Mousez
    October 27, 2008 at 5:19 pm —

Welcome.

4. kayla_unkempt
    October 27, 2008 at 5:29 pm —

Thanks for commenting guys, it makes me feel all welcome and snuggly inside. Sadly I don’t own a super awesome fedora hat or a car and have to put stickers on my binders for school and in my locker.

October 27, 2008 at 5:45 pm —

Welcome welcome! Nice to have you here.

6. Joy Wang
    October 27, 2008 at 6:23 pm —

OOOOH! Greetings, fellow freshman! At orchestra two weeks ago I saw an FSM fish sticker on someone’s cello case. Great for kicks and giggles.

Would you like a cyber-hug to make you feel even more snuggly inside?

Elles: I’m going to steal that hat…*cackles manically*

7. October 27, 2008 at 7:00 pm —

There is a man who lives two townhouses down from me who owns what I refer to as “The Jesus Truck.” It’s a giant pickup truck covered with Bible verses, religious bumper stickers and pictures of bloody, dying Jesus. And a fish, of course. I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to get a Darwin fish or FSM to help balance out our parking lot 🙂

Anyway, welcome, Kayla!

8. October 27, 2008 at 7:10 pm —

Welcome Kayla! Looking forward to read your posts!

9. October 27, 2008 at 9:40 pm —

I’m sorry, did I just read that you hate caramel?!

You mean that gooey, chewy, dreamy, splendid, golden sugary stuff that you find around apples, Twix bars, and certain species of Hershey’s Kisses?!

HOW COULD YOU?!

10. October 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm —

And here is a senior ready to make fun of all of you freshmen…

Just kidding, welcome!

11. tkingdoll
    October 28, 2008 at 9:13 am —

Hi Kayla!

I have a couple of darwin fish, including one which says “RANDI” inside it. There’s also a T-rex eating the original christian fish.

I haven’t put any of them on my car though, as they’re likely to attract vandalism. Sad state of affairs.

12. October 28, 2008 at 9:21 am —

Welcome Kayla! Looking forward to reading your stuff.

Hope I’m as eloquent as you when I’m a freshman.

13. October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm —

Welcome Kayla! Some people in my neighborhood hat Flying Spaghetti Monster lights up last December. That was really fun to see. I couldn’t imagine what their neighbors thought.

14. October 29, 2008 at 7:05 am —

Hi Kayla! I have a FSM fish on my car, and my boyfriend does too. I’ve never had any vandalism problems – maybe people are too confused by it to care.

15. kayla_unkempt
    October 29, 2008 at 6:11 pm —

An FSM fish might not attract as much negative attention or vandalism as a Darwin fish because most people will take it as a joke. At least, that’s what I’ve noticed when kids around my school mention the FSM or Pastafarianism. But if they didn’t know what the FSM was, I would say they might be more than a little confused, yeah.

16. October 30, 2008 at 3:51 pm —

Hey Kayla,

I had to say hi since you have such a pretty name (so very close to my own!)

I don’t do too much in the way of stickers and such… but I do sport a skepchick bag!