Sex Talk Part 2: Sex “Education” in the U.S.

We now know that our judgment can be impaired by heated moments. So what exactly are we doing with this information? Absolutely nothing.

Here in the United States there is a tendency to provide “abstinence only” educational programs. In these programs, students are not being given the facts concerning the capabilities of contraceptives to prevent both unwanted pregnancy and STDs. The reasoning behind this strategy is that providing facts about birth control devices and drugs will encourage sexual activity.  Studies show that a comprehensive sex education program that includes the encouragement of abstinence, promotion of appropriate condom use, and involves the teaching of sexual communication skills, is most effective. (Just Google abstinence only and you can find many of these studies) Yet, the government still insists on feeding our youth this useless “abstinence only” bogusness. Empirical evidence also demonstrates that no “abstinence only” program has been shown to help teens delay the initiation of sex or to protect themselves when they do have sex. I guess a person would be a little embarrassed if they broke a pledge they publicly took to remain abstinent. Maybe too embarrassed to even confide in a doctor and seek medical attention.

To sum up, abstinence programs suck. They are failing our youth by not preparing them for reality.

Obviously something needs to be done. And it’s not telling teens to just say no to sex. That only works with drugs. 😀

Yes, abstinence is 100% guaranteed to keep a teen safe. However, if teens really want to have sex then they are going to have sex and the best thing for schools and parents (you more then the schools) to do is educate them to keep them safe.

Sex is part of the real world. Shouldn’t teens be ready to handle the real world?

TS Tidbits 1.12

Midnight Thinking

Cassie

Cassie

1. FFFearlesss
    January 13, 2009 at 11:23 am —

I like the “Mean Girls” approach.

Don’t have sex, because you WILL get pregnant and die! Don’t have sex in the missionary position, don’t have sex standing up, just don’t do it, OK, promise? OK, now everybody take some rubbers.

2. MaggieMoo
    January 13, 2009 at 3:47 pm —

Yeah I got the sex talk from my mom, went to our Wellness/ Sex Ed classes and I found that my mom’s talked worked far better than the talk in school because she knows that I will eventually have sex. The problem with a lot of the schools is that the teachers find it embarrassing to talk to students about sex. I found it not really any more embarrassing than an Anatomy class.
    The really embarrassing part is when your dad comes over and offers to get you “one of those thingys that is put in your vagina so that you don’t get pregnant and don’t have to take the pill”
    so embarrassing….
    XP

3. January 14, 2009 at 2:19 pm —

Oh, they were supposed to talk about that in some course in high school? ^_^
    Strangely, the horrible health fitness class I had
    ( so boring!) two years ago in the curriculum sheet did say things like talking about sex or something, but I guess they never got to it… I only remember that stupid video about cigarettes.
    Anyways, maybe they don’t think we can handle it, and our brain will explode if we try to? 🙂

January 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm —

The prudishness of some school districts! Our health teacher admitted to us that he was not allowed to demonstrate how a condom is used because our district liked abstinence-only policies.

What’s a teen to do in the face of Puritanical teaching standards?

5. Cassie
    January 14, 2009 at 5:41 pm —

Fearless- lol! My friends and I repeat that quote all the time.

Vy- I will tell you what a teen is to do!

… in my next post.

6. January 18, 2009 at 3:58 pm —

I live in the UK, which is supposedly more lenient about these things (although we all had to get forms signed by our parents to say they were OK with us hearing about sex). We had talks about STIs, How To Say ‘No’, and the different forms of contraception… but somehow our class missed out on that one vital lesson, how to put on a condom. Meaning that everyone in the school, other than the 30 people in my group, had been taught. I felt let-down by the system, letting girls slip through the net, and into the deep dark pool of the unknown, and all because we ran out of time during one lesson and the teacher forgot the model the next time.

Personally I think we should also get lessons about what ACTUALLY HAPPENS during sex. Our lessons never got to that bit, only how to prevent it happening, or how to prevent pregnancy/STIs. My boyfriend’s school, an all-boys one that faced our all-girls, he was telling me, told them what to expect, how to do it etc. That confused me, as they have a lot less to deal with than girls during their first time, dontcha think?!

My parents were amazing about it though, I’ve had talks about it from both of them, which although they’re embarassing, were helpful, and Dad even subtly slipped me a book called ‘Sex Ed.’ by Dr Miriam Stoppard. I’d recommend it to anyone who has had problems with the school/parent teaching system! 🙂

7. January 25, 2009 at 9:04 am —

I find it so sad that 30 years after I’m out of high school, they are apparently teaching the same useless crap. That doesn’t work.

Sigh. 🙁