Choosing a College Major.

Yesterday, Chelsea wrote a great post on the main Skepchick blog about higher education, explaining her choice of major and asking readers if they’d switched majors in college.

I’m a junior in college majoring in literature with an 8-12 ELA teaching certification, but I’m beginning to feel those slight pangs of doubt that a few of the main Skepchick readers mentioned. I adore teaching and know that I’ll be happy in the profession, but I also know that I love astronomy and anthropology. What if one of those would be a better fit? How can I know if I don’t give it a shot?!

Although this is Teen Skepchick, I know that a few of us humble bloggers are in college or taking dual-credit courses, so we’ve already chosen a major. For those of you still reading, are any of you in the midst of your freshman applications, starting to consider schools, or already in college? Even if not, how many of you are thinking about a major, or are you on the fence?

An Evening of Physics on The Colbert Report!

The Effect of Education on Religion

katherine

katherine

1. November 4, 2009 at 4:58 pm —

I’m a freshman in college this year, but I’ve already declared my major in Geophysical Sciences. It’s something I’ve been interested in… well, always. So, I always planned to major in Geophysical/Earth Sciences.

My biggest issue is deciding if I want a double major. Do I want to have a second major in one of other areas of great interest (music, education, or English), or do I try to do the Masters-in-Five program? Or do I just minor, and have more time to take various “fun” courses? Am I even allowed to take fun courses at the school “Where Fun Comes to Die”?…. and questions of the like.

Overall, though, I think I’ve done a lot more planning ahead than most teens. I’m already looking at graduate schools, and trying to decide what I should do as an actual career, if I ever get out of school. Something with teaching. And museums, probably.

2. November 5, 2009 at 2:59 am —

Well, since I was 8, I knew I wanted to be an astronomer, so I want to keep at it. Although due to unforseen circustances, one involving lawyers, money, and immigration, I had to go to a less expensive college. So for now, I am getting an associate degree on chem. Although it will be pretty quick, considering all those AP credits I recieved.

3. November 5, 2009 at 6:40 pm —

Interesting. Any reason why you’re getting an AS in chemistry rather than physics? Does your college not have a program, or was it a personal choice?

And, as for “unforseen circumstances,” I can relate. Haha.

4. November 5, 2009 at 6:50 pm —

Well, the community college I am in doesn’t have physics, so I got the closest one I could to physics. It is alright though. There are calculus classes and there is one class on calculus based physics, and then, I plan on tackling E and M.

5. November 5, 2009 at 9:27 pm —

Interesting. I live right by the Johnson Space Center, so one would think there’d be physics programs nearby. Turns out, there are–but, they’re all related to engineering rather than theoretical physics or astrophysics (excluding Rice). Oddly enough, an applied physics major isn’t really offered.

I know that there aren’t many–if any–observatories very close by, but we live by NASA! I’m within walking distance! Houston’s physics and astronomy offerings are terrible.

6. November 6, 2009 at 11:17 pm —

Well, I am fortunate to have an astronomy club and an observatory nearby used by university of delaware.

7. November 8, 2009 at 9:34 pm —

@Ali Marie: Double majors will be the end of me. I’ve been driving myself insane lately trying to decide if I should do simultaneous majors or just minor in one. I also have really crazy, seemingly non-related interests, so switching between majors is going to be really strange next semester–I’m literature with 8-12 now, but I’m going to be switching to anthro and linguistics or physics and astronomy. I love all three areas, so I’m trying to find some way to combine them all.

And, what state are you in? Unfortunately, here in Texas, “education” isn’t a choice for an undergrad major. You can enter a teaching certification program while you’re in college, but there’s no major.

8. November 8, 2009 at 9:44 pm —

I’m in Chicago. I don’t think my school actually has an education major, persay, but a few of the other schools around do. We have the teaching certificate program at UChicago, I think. I haven’t looked into it much yet, as we aren’t allowed to declare majors officially until 2nd year.

I sympathize with the non-related interests. I have yet to figure out how music, English, and paleontology go together in any way, shape, or form. Oh well. So long as I can stay involved in them all, I’ll be happy enough.

9. Benji
    November 25, 2009 at 8:28 pm —

I’m in college in Canada, physics, and that’s awesome. I’ve been lucky enough to find my branch immediatly, so I can’t help you, except to tell you that there’s a possibility that when you find the right thing for you, it won’t be long before you just KNOW it.

I’m speaking for myself though, results may vary 🙂