Amazing Christmas Gifts
Omg it’s December… SANTA MONTH! One year, during my staunch atheist phase, I boycotted Christmas. I told my family not to get me anything, and I didn’t get them anything. It was the worst Christmas ever and I never did it again. Since then I’ve become semi-pro at finding ridiculously fun gifts for family and friends.
1. Now that me and my family are a bit older I’ve actually stopped getting gifts like I’m about to list. I usually go for the UNICEF gifts of chickens or pencils. Last year I donated to a charity that fit each one of my family member’s individual interests (an open source charity for my brother, an aboriginal education fund for my mom… etc). So as fun as giving neat gifts are I encourage you to consider donating instead.
2. Christmas is really bad for the environment and makes me feel like a horrible environmentalist because I love it so much. I just wanted to point out that I recognize that, so I can feel slightly better about myself.
3. I also realize that Christmas is a “Christian” holiday. But is it really? IS IT REALLY??? I think the important thing about Christmas is to celebrate being with our families and/or friends, seeing everyone be happy and participating in a holiday that can really bring about a lot of jolly cheer – if you let it. 🙂
I link to Think Geek a couple times, they have a complete holiday gift list/section of their website which is great for geeky gift shopping. If they had better shipping-to-Canada rates I’d have ordered a crap-load more stuff from them in the past.
THE REAL LIST! The gift list… Here we go… 10 (or 11…or 12…) awesome gifts:
2. Geeky kitchen items are my new favorite obsession. Thinkgeek has an entire section for it (with lightsaber chopsticks!), but there are also random gems on the internet like these equal measure measuring cups, beaker mugs, lego ice-cube trays and pac-man oven mitts.
3. If you’re at all crafty, I try to be… you could knit up a Who lover some TARDIS socks.
4. I read a statistic for one of my classes about how much e-waste we (North America) sends to China every year… it’s really quite horrible. You can make a small contribution to the limiting of that waste by getting e-waste gifts!…that are made into other things, obviously… like a trash can made of e-waste or a mechanism that tweets you when your plants are dry.
5. Have a geeky foody on your list? I have the Cooking for Geeks cookbook and it’s GREAT. Also, the Miracle Berry Fruit Tablets are a good way to spend a half an hour. Everything you eat will taste totally different than it did before!! Hahahaha.
7. For the older (but slightly less mature) there are all kinds of toys! But I like to keep it simple, like magnetic putty.
10. These are BY FAR the coolest thing I’ve come across this year and I actually ordered a pair for me and my partner as soon as I saw them: gloves, with finger tips that WORK ON TOUCH SCREENS.