Speak Your Mind

Speak Your Mind: Jingle Bells

It’s officially December which means, at least in my part of the world, it’s Christmas season. Even though there are a lot of crappy Christmas songs out there, there are many that are nice to listen to. Unfortunately, a lot of these songs have a religious element.

But Mindy, you say. Christmas is a religious holiday! Doesn’t that make sense. Yes, I suppose so, but come on. Christmas is a holiday that defies faith traditions. It’s about spending time with family and eating awesome food and having fun. What non-Christian wouldn’t want behind that?

As someone who no longer subscribes to the belief that Jesus was born of a virgin birth to save the world from sin, I’m always looking for some good secular humanist Christmas carols.

Do you have some favorite secular humanist Christmas carols? If so, please share them in the comments. Also? Does the phrase “secular humanist Christmas carols” make any sense?

Featured image credit: Mykl Roventine

The Penises! They're Everywhere!

Teen Skepchick's Reality Checks 12.8

Mindy

Mindy

Mindy is an attorney and Managing Editor of Teen Skepchick. She hates the law and loves stars. You can follow her on Twitter and on Google+.

1. December 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm —

I can’t think of any, really.

But here’s a few I love that don’t really have much to do with God or Jesus:

Joni Mitchell – “River”
    Low – “Just Like Christmas”
    The Pogues – “New York Fairytale”
    Mojave 3 – “Candle Song”
    John Cale – “A Child’s Christmas In Wales”
    The Waitresses – “Christmas Wrapping”
    Saint Etienne – “I Was Born on Christmas Day”
    Sally Shapiro – “Anorak Christmas”

and the greatest of all:

Judy Garland – “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”

• December 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm —

Except for Judy Garland, I’ve never heard of any of those! Commence downloading in 3…2…1…

Then there is always “White Wine in the Sun” by Tim Minchin and “Chiron Beta Prime” and “Podsafe Christmas Song” by Jonathan Coulton 🙂

• December 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm —

You’ve never heard New York Fairytale?! OMG! You’re in for a treat!

• December 8, 2011 at 8:48 am —

“that don’t really have much to do with God or Jesus” — since that’s pretty much what “secular” means, I figure you’ve completed the task admirably.

Personally I listen to stuff like Frank Sinatra’s (and sometimes Michael Buble’s) christmas albums on Spotify, most of which is non-religious classics.

2. December 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm —

Jingle Bells, We Wish you a Merry Christmas, …

Of course the English speaking world is stuck with the word _Christ_mas (although alternatives are available) while us Scandinavians have the pre-christian word Jul/Jól, and lots of Christmas songs that are nearly entirely religion free, particularly the ones about gnomes (Nisser), and leaving porridge outside for them, a tradition with roots in ancient ancestor worship that survives even today.

• December 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm —

A Christmas songs about gnomes? I love this. Sign me up!