Speak Your Mind: Collecting Family
It seems that many of the women and females I know have at one point or another been inappropriately hit on. At work, on the street, in the grocery store. This happens to me occasionally, but apparently not as much and not to the same intensity as a lot of other feminists I know and read about.
Instead, I get a whole different kind of creepy male attention.
Have you ever had a friend you had so much in common with and loved so much that you started referring to each other as siblings? It happens pretty often–friends of the family who end up sort of adopted.
It seems that older men find it very easy to see me as a daughter-figure. Several times, I’ve had old gents tell me I’m the daughter they never had or something to that effect. Due to my age, I think I’ve gotten this kind of attention (rather than the sexual type) mostly because I’m only recently of age and woman-ish.
Honestly, it weirds me out a bit. Sure, it can be endearing and is meant to be a meaningful connection, but I’m usually not very emotionally attached to these men. Sometimes, this behaviour (seemingly) comes out of nowhere and catches me completely off guard.
Do you have a collection of friends-turned-family? Any ‘aunts’ or ‘brothers’? Have you ever had unwanted attempts at adopting you as family? Am I crazy for thinking that it’s more creepy than it is awesome?
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)