FeaturedSpeak Your Mind

Speak Your Mind: Chilllax

I do a lot of things. I always have something on my mind and I’m constantly multitasking. I’m trying to cut back, but it’s hard. And I keep taking on more projects. So far I’ve kept up, but I can feel my neck tightening more and more every day.

Needless to say, I need to relax. But I don’t know how.

Believe me, I’ve searched for methods of relaxation. I watch television. I exercise. Nothing really works. So I need some ideas.

How do you relax? Do you make time for yourself, or does it come naturally? Can you recommend any activities to help me blow off steam?

Featured image credit: kelsey_lovefusionphoto

Teen Skepchick's Reality Checks 1.23

Teen Skepchick's Reality Checks 1.24

Mindy

Mindy

Mindy is an attorney and Managing Editor of Teen Skepchick. She hates the law and loves stars. You can follow her on Twitter and on Google+.

1. January 23, 2013 at 12:34 pm —

Books. Books for me are the perfect way to get out of my head and relax. But I am horribly addicted to reading, so mileage may vary.

I also tend to do active things to relax, like cleaning, doing yoga or other exercises, or playing my instruments. It lets me feel like I’m doing something, while still letting me get away from whatever is stressing me out.

I am awful at taking time for myself, typically, so these are the sorts of things that help me relax without just vegging out and feeling guilty for wasting time.

• January 27, 2013 at 11:48 am —

Oh man, I always feel like I’m wasting time if I’m not working. That’s probably not healthy.

2. January 24, 2013 at 6:15 am —

I certainly know the feeling!
    As Ali said I like to read as it takes the mind off the here and now. For the exact same reason I also play a game called GuildWars2.
    Furthermore I like to do something creative such as paiting or crafts and this can be rewarding as you have something to show for your efforts!

I certainly hope you make some time to relax. Just do it else it will never happen.

• January 27, 2013 at 11:51 am —

I do usually take an hour or so before bed to just relax and watch something stupid on TV. If I don’t, I won’t sleep. And boy, do I like to sleep :)

3. January 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm —

Hiking and volleyball for me, or Trivial Pursuit with friends. I have a hard time sitting still watching TV or movies, unless I’m also hanging out with people. Otherwise, I get antsy because I feel like I’m wasting time I should spend on other things. Yeah, at some point I became bad at relaxing…

• January 27, 2013 at 11:52 am —

I need to get some in-town friends so I can have a game night. I love game nights!